The power of learning…the power of GROWTH!
It occurred to me recently following a coaching session with a client, the importance of investing time in yourself to learn and grow. One of the main reasons we are on this planet to grow - we learn from others, we learn from our experiences and of course we learn from our mistakes. For some people learning is easy. If they have a strong need to grow as an individual the drive is already there and it’s easy for them to choose a book to read, attend a course or watch a video.
But what if you are struggling to start learning more?
Well, I believe there’s a reason for why we do or don’t do something. If someone is struggling to get started, there could be a number of reasons. One of the main ones could be procrastination…
Here is Wikipedia’s definition of Procrastination:
“Procrastination is defined as the avoidance of doing a task that needs to be accomplished. It could be further stated as a habitual/intentional delay of starting or finishing a task despite its negative consequences.”
If we are procrastinating about learning we are probably saying to ourselves “I really should learn how to…” or “I really should study more…”
The “should” in our mind-set typically does not carry a high level of importance or urgency.
So how do we break through this barrier that is holding us back?
By the changing the “should” into an absolute “must!”. For example by changing “I should learn how to improve my relationships” to “I MUST learn how to improve my relationships”.
Here are 5 steps to help you make the shift towards making it a MUST to learn and grow:
1. Where do you want to grow? - Ask yourself “In which area of my life do I need to improve?” you could also ask yourself “Which area of my life is the most painful?!” - this could be my career, my business, my health, my relationships, my finances, my spirituality and so on…
2. Go deeper? - Once you have picked the area - go deeper and find something in that area that excites you? Something really “juicy” - that if you achieved it would make you feel incredible. For example you may want to improve your finances; and if you learnt how to be financially free (so that you would never have to work again - if you did’nt want to!) you would feel amazing!
3. Clarify it, write it down and pin it up! - what is the specific RESULT you want? - Write this down clearly - including when you want it. Then write down WHY you want it - write down which empowering emotions you will feel when you master the area of your life that you want to learn about. How will this impact your life and those close to you?
RESULT? - “I want to create financial freedom for myself and my family - I want to have financial freedom in X years.”
WHY? - “I MUST achieve this so that I can have more freedom to do what I want in my life - I will be able spend more time with my family. I will be able to give more to others. I will feel incredibly happy by achieving this.”
Then pin this up on a mirror or place it on your desk so you can see it every day - this will help remind you how important this is to you.
4. Who knows how to do this? - One thing for sure is that somebody somewhere has achieved what you would like to achieve. It’s also probable that they have written a book about it. So, spend sometime researching this: Do an internet search on the result you want to achieve. Do they have a book? Do they have a web-site? or do they have a video you can watch? Do you know someone who has already achieved result? If so, go and talk to them - buy them a coffee - they’ll probably enjoy telling you about how they did it and how it made them feel.
5. Give it time and enjoy it - scheduling time daily to learn by reading a book or watching a video or listening to an audio-book is the key. The previous steps will help build your energy and excitement (if you have really focused on making this a MUST to do). If you have done this then scheduling it becomes easy - because you will WANT to do it! It will be fun and you will enjoy it.
If you start to slip back and find yourself putting off the learning then read the note you pinned up or repeat the steps.
As you master one area of your life - repeat the steps and pick the next area of your life that you would like to learn how to master.
Kev’s BLOG Tip - Love your work, Love your life:
Staying with the theme of learning, I have just finished reading a fabulous book called “FREE! Love your work, Love your life” by Chris Barez-Brown. The book helps you to step back, look at your career and the work you do and puts it into perspective within your life. It helps you to learn more and appreciate what is important to you in your life and work. In the book Chris shows you how you can love your work and life so that you can feel free. It’s a very easy book to read and you can read it start to finish or jump from one section to another.
I hope you enjoyed this blog.
Until next time….best wishes
P.S. If you are interested in learning how Coaching can help you to transform your life or business then please click here to book a FREE strategy session with me.